Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Puzzles and coffee

I was sitting in the coffee shop run by A New Faith Community. There were two little brain teaser toys sitting on the coffee table in front of me. I reached for one. The man on the couch next to mine reached for the other. I'm charmed by subliminal suggestion like that.

I was doing Sudoku puzzles. "Oh, are you doing Suhnookoo?" "Uh, yeah."

Meanwhile, other men were talking about people who consume a lot of sugar. Literally filling a glass half full with sugar, adding warm water, stirring, and drinking this sludge. Filling a coffee cup with sugar, then adding coffee to fill in the cracks. "It's like putting jumper cables to your head." "You can feel your pancreas shrivel." One of them got to talking about Sudafed, somehow.

"No, Suhnookoo," my companion corrected. I told him that it's Sudoku. We did matchstick puzzles and shared riddles. I can't remember the exact way he phrased his riddle, it seemed a little funny to me, but I found a sensible version here:
The man who built it doesn't want it
The man who bought doesn't need it
The man who needs it doesn't know it.
What is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment