Friday, July 9, 2010

Links regarding Facebook being crummy

I blogged some about Facebook recently. Here are some articles that I've seen in that vein: the problem with Facebook isn't that it's doing dishonest things to us (but it is), it's that Facebook is closed and makes it difficult to quit.

  • Merlin Mann's WebVisions talk. He talks about how Facebook munges up our expectations for how information will be shared.
  • Openbook is a way to search Facebook status updates for key phrases. I like "I'm pregnant". Oops.
  • The quest for frisson by Roger Ebert, who has a consistently worth-reading-every-word blog. In it, he talks about how easy it is to get obsessed with the Internet. He says: "Facebook has no charms for me. It looks inward. Twitter looks outward, and I've found remarkable people to follow." That's why your note you wrote on Facebook will never be seen by more than a couple of hundred people, no matter how earth-shattering it is.
  • Anil Dash on Facebook usernames when they were first released. "None of these posts mention that you can also register a real domain name that you can own, instead of just having another URL on Facebook."

No comments:

Post a Comment