Monday, June 22, 2009

I'm on Lexapro

I've had problems with anxiety intermittently since 2005 around the time I started grad school. I think this is partly a coincidence, but stress can be a trigger for onset of anxiety conditions. Since then, I've learned to manage anxiety pretty well and I'm feel anxious far less often than I did before. Even so, there are a couple of days a month when I feel anxious about everything in my life, or anxious about nothing, or anxious about what God thinks about me or anxious global poverty. That my anxiety is so nonspecific makes me think that I don't need to make many major life changes at this point; I take plenty of time to rest, I love my job, I'm in a healthy community, I have good relationships with my family. So, on Friday, I started taking Lexapro (Escitalopram). I hope that helps. Anxiety can be great when I have something to be anxious about, but I don't want to feel anxiety for no good reason.

I am entertained by the list of possible side effects. I'll let you know which affect me. Here's an excerpt, the best side effects:
  • Bizarre behavior
  • Black or bloody stools
  • Confusion
  • Decreased concentration
  • Decreased coordination
  • Fainting
  • Fast or irregular heartbeat (More stimulants!)
  • Hallucinations
  • Menstrual period changes
  • New or worsening agitation, panic attacks, aggressiveness, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, restlessness, or inability to sit still
  • Persistent, painful erection
  • Tremor
  • Unusual bruising or bleeding

1 comment:

  1. Bizarre behavior? How the heck are we going to know that this is occurring with you?

    ReplyDelete