Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm already post-post emergent

Evidently, there's some sort of post-emergent church movement happening. I don't know why, nor can I bring myself to care. Given that I can't explain what the emergent church is to a stranger over the course of an elevator ride, I'm not entirely sure it's a real thing. I'm not into eschewing labels, though, I have called myself emergent for ages and still do.

Tony Jones, whoever he is, did some manner of a post-emergent roundup on Beliefnet. I count ten references to God or a member of the Godhead, and twelve egregious typos, and that's not counting the failures to capitalize by those who possess a conviction that capitalization is imperialist.

1 comment:

  1. I never really liked the Emergent movement, for precisely the reason you describe - no-one could ever explain to me what it IS!

    I also don't like the idea of trying to change the church from the outside, with your own little group of people that's "cooler" than the rest of those stuffy, old-fashioned Christians. It makes more sense to me that if you want the church to start doing something new, then just... start doing it. People will like it or they won't, but at least you're stirring things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete